By Michael Stegman
November 03, 2014
Category: Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic foot care is important, there is no doubt about this. With proper foot care, a whole measure of complications like infections and amputations can be avoided. As a Sun City podiatrist, it is my job to make sure this does not happen.
Although it is up to both the podiatrist and the patient, once a patient is in my office, I am able to treat their feet so that they stay healthy. With attention to health, one can go their whole life without many of the complications that commonly affect diabetics.
Here are 5 specific things you can do to prevent complications with your feet:
1. See a podiatrist regularly. The most important part of health is prevention. We eat healthy food to prevent obesity and we should see the Sun City foot doctor to prevent foot conditions. A podiatrist checks your feet regularly making sure their aren't foot issues and if one is found, we can treat them right away before the condition worsens. It is recommended to see a foot doctor every two months if you are a diabetic, especially if you have diabetic neuropathy.
2. If you do find a problem, seek help immediately. This means that if you notice foot pain, swelling, sores, or puss, see a doctor immediately. Do not wait but get treated at your earliest convenience.
3. Wash your feet regularly. Keeping your feet clean decreases the chances that any hidden cuts will become infected or fungus will grow causing hard, thickened nails that may cut the skin.
4. Wear comfortable shoes. Wearing comfortable shoes prevents a range of foot problems such as hammertoes, bunions, heel pain, and plantar fasciitis. Customized orthotics will increase the support your feet are getting and therefore, decrease foot pain throughout the day. Ask your podiatrist about orthotics at your next appointment.
5. Examine your feet each day for cuts and sores. Examining your feet is essential. Like I mentioned previously, the patient must take an active role in keeping themselves healthy. The best way to do this is by checking your feet daily. You want to intimately check to see that your feet are doing well and if you see cuts or irregularities, see a doctor.
The American Foot and Ankle Specialists is a Sun City podiatry office located in Sun City, AZ. We are here solely to help you take care of your feet. Dr. Michael Stegman and Dr. John Erotas have extensive experience helping diabetic patients avoid many disabling foot issues. Call 623-977-8388 and set up a consultation today! Same and next day appointments are often available.
â€¨By Michael Stegman