Aging feet develop more problems due to the wear and tear of joints over the course of many years. This can be problematic for many individuals, which is why your Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ, podiatrists, Drs. Michael Stegman and John Erotas, are here to help.
Aging leads to foot problems because our skin:
- Loses elasticity
- Becomes more dry
- More fragile.
Routine foot care can help avoid the development of diabetes and arthritis, which may affect foot health; healing may take longer for the elderly.
People experience more foot pain, which can be debilitating. Foot pain can be problematic for mobility, especially when someone wants to exercise to maintain their health and pursue social activities, especially as they age.
Signs of aging feet include:
- More regular aches and pains
- Developing bunions
- Signs of clawing of the toes
- General circulatory problems
How to Stay Healthy
Staying active helps keep feet healthy by:
- Toning up muscles
- Strengthening arches
- Stimulating blood circulation.
General Foot Care Advice from your Scottsdale and Sun City podiatrists
- Cutting toenails properly to prevent soreness, infections, ulcerations and ingrown toenails.
- Checking your feet daily and moisturizing them to prevent dryness of the soles, heels, and brittle toenails.
- Keeping feet warm, like wearing stockings, but make sure they're not too tight to avoid poor circulation and cramps.
The older you get, the more important it is to,
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting, supportive shoes that hold your foot firmly in place for adequate support
- Avoid wearing slippers since that will encourage feet to shuffle around
- A pair of running shoes for proper shock absorption, stability, and arch support
- Avoid plastic uppers that do not allow feet to breathe and stretch to accommodate your foot shape.
Managing your aging feet is important. If you have any questions or concerns about foot care, you should contact your Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ, podiatrists, Drs. Michael Stegman and John Erotas. They have the expertise to help figure out and treat your foot issues.