Learn more about the signs of a hammertoe and what you can do to treat it.
A hammertoe is a fairly common but nonetheless painful foot deformity that can be caused by anything, from wearing improper shoes to a foot injury to arthritis. Find out if your symptoms could be telling you that you might have a hammertoe and find out what our Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ podiatrists, Dr. Michael Stegman and Dr. John Erotas, can do to help.
What are the symptoms of a hammertoe?
This foot deformity is often characterized by:
- Pain at the top of the affected foot, particularly when wearing shoes
- Corns that form on top of the toe
- Pain or difficulty moving the toe joint
- Swelling or redness around the affected toe joint
When should I see my Scottsdale and Sun City foot doctor?
If you are experiencing persistent pain, it’s time to act now before the issue gets worse. We can help determine whether your symptoms are due to a hammertoe and then create a treatment plan that will effectively manage your symptoms.
Patients with diabetes, suppressed immune systems and circulation problems should also visit us right away if you notice any of the above symptoms.
What are my treatment options?
It’s important that you get proper medical attention before you start to treat your condition on your own. However, here are some things you can do in the meantime to reduce your pain:
- Opt for shoes that don’t have heels
- Only wear shoes that give your toes some extra height and width and don’t cram toes together
- You can opt for massage therapy to alleviate your pain
- You can choose over-the-counter hammertoe pads that can be applied to the top of the toe joint to reduce pressure
- Ice the joint for several minutes 2-3 times a day to reduce swelling
- Take NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Tylenol, which can reduce both pain and swelling
We can also provide other hammertoe treatments like cortisone injections (which can reduce pain and inflammation) and custom orthotics to take pressure off certain areas of the foot. Find out all the hammertoe treatment options that our Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ foot experts have to offer. Call American Foot & Ankle Specialists today.