Wondering if that pain in your foot is caused by a bone spur? Dr. Michael Stegman and Dr. John Erotas, your Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ podiatrists at American Foot & Ankle Specialists, share a few symptoms of bone spurs and explain how they're treated.
What are bone spurs?
Bone spurs are bony growths that develop at the spot where two bones meet in a joint or on the edges of bones. In many cases, you'll never know that you have a bone spur. Symptoms usually don't occur unless the spur presses on muscles, ligaments, tendons or nerves. Bones spurs can develop on any of the bones in your feet, but most commonly occur in the heels. Symptoms of bone spurs include:
- Pain when walking or running
- Sharp pain when standing. (The pain may become a dull ache after a few steps and may be worse after you've been sitting or resting for a while.)
- Muscle tightness in your foot or ankle
- Corns and calluses over the tender area
Who gets bone spurs?
You may be more likely to develop bone spurs if:
- You are overweight.
- You wear poorly fitting shoes.
- You have a condition that causes chronic inflammation, such as ankylosing spondylitis or arthritis.
- The cartilage at the end of your joints has deteriorated due to wear and tear common with aging.
- You have had plantar fasciitis.
How can I get rid of my pain?
Losing weight or buying new shoes can help reduce pain, as can buying insoles that cushion your feet. If you're still in pain, your Scottsdale and Sun City podiatrist can offer a variety of treatments designed to relieve your symptoms. Common bone spur treatments include custom-made shoe inserts called orthotics, exercises to stretch your foot and calf muscles and anti-inflammatory injections.
Most people don't need surgery, but it may be recommended if your pain doesn't improve. Since it's not always possible to tell if your pain is caused by a bone spur or other foot or ankle issue, it's important to visit your foot doctor any time pain doesn't subside after a few weeks.
Do you have the symptoms of a bone spur? Call Dr. Stegman and Dr. Erotas, your Scottsdale and Sun City, AZ podiatrists at American Foot & Ankle Specialists, to schedule an appointment to discuss your problem.